2022-2023 Common Application Essay Prompts
The Common Application has released the 2022-2023 essay prompts. So what will be the Personal Statement questions posed to next year’s batch of applicants? We know you’ve been up at night wondering if they’ll remain the same or if Common App. will be making some changes. We don’t want you losing too much sleep over any potential changes. So, without further ado, let’s share with you the news on next year’s Common Application essay prompts!
They’re staying the same, with one addition! As Scott Anderson writes on The Common Application’s website, “The Common App essay prompts will remain the same for 2022-2023. Because as we enter the third year of a global pandemic, consistency is not a bad thing. That’s not the only reason, of course. We know from our most recent survey on the topic that over 95% of every group who responded–students, counselors, teachers, and admission officers–agree that the prompts spark effective essays. That’s why we kept them the same last year as well, with the exception of adding a new one about gratitude.”
So here are next year’s Common Application Personal Statement essay prompts (#4 is the new addition):
- Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
- The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
- Reflect on a time when you questioned or challenged a belief or idea. What prompted your thinking? What was the outcome?
- Reflect on something that someone has done for you that has made you happy or thankful in a surprising way. How has this gratitude affected or motivated you?
- Discuss an accomplishment, event, or realization that sparked a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself or others.
- Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time. Why does it captivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more?
- Share an essay on any topic of your choice. It can be one you’ve already written, one that responds to a different prompt, or one of your own design.
You are permitted to use www.ivycoach.com (including the content of the Blog) for your personal, non-commercial use only. You must not copy, download, print, or otherwise distribute the content on our site without the prior written consent of Ivy Coach, Inc.