The University of Virginia admissions essays have been released for the 2013-2014 admissions cycle and we’ve got the supplemental questions for our readers! So what are their college admissions essay questions? According to the UVA Admissions website, the first question reads as follows:
- College of Arts & Sciences: What work of art, music, science, mathematics, or literature has surprised, unsettled, or challenged you, and in what way?
- Engineering: If you were given funding for a small engineering project, what would you do?
- Architecture: Students in the school of architecture study the physical design of the environment in which we live, including cities, landscapes, and buildings. That environment has a profound effect on the way that people and societies interact and develop. Describe how a particular physical place has influenced your growth as a person.
- Nursing: Discuss experiences that led you to choose the School of Nursing.
- Kinesiology: Discuss experiences that led you to choose the kinesiology major.
That one shouldn’t be too tough for UVA applicants in our opinion. What do you think? And for the second question, the prompt reads, “Answer one of the following questions in a half page or roughly 250 words.” The prompt goes on to include:
- What is your favorite word and why?
- The Honor Code at U.Va. states that students will not lie, cheat, or steal. This strengthens our Community of Trust. What would you add to the Honor Code and why?
- In 2006, graduate student Robert Stilling discovered an unpublished poem by Robert Frost while doing research in U.Va.’s Small Collections Library. Where will your Stilling moment be in college?
- We are a community with quirks, both in language (we’ll welcome you to Grounds, not campus) and in traditions. Describe one of your quirks and why it is part of who you are.
- To tweet or not to tweet?
We like the question about the favorite word and “to tweet or not to tweet?” There’s a whole lot of room for creativity with these kinds of questions. The Robert Frost question is also pretty cool as is the question about your quirks. How are you quirky? Everyone is but are you able to articulate this well in a college admissions essay? That’s what matters.
And while you’re here, check out this post on the UVA president.
You are permitted to use www.ivycoach.com (including the content of the Blog) for your personal, non-commercial use only. You must not copy, download, print, or otherwise distribute the content on our site without the prior written consent of The Ivy Coach, Inc.